In addition to being gluten free, we’ve been drastically reducing refined sugar and grains and moving toward a traditional diet (I highly recommend the book, Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon).
What this means in our GF world…
- Replacing most grains with almond and coconut flours.
- Soaking brown rice before cooking.
- Preparing sourdough breads.
- Using only healthy fats- real butter, coconut oil and EVOO.
- Enjoying plenty of grass fed, local meats.
- Enjoying lots of organic/spray free, local produce.
- Switching to RAW, whole, non homogenized milk. When we can’t raw, we do non-homogenized/cream on top, local milk.
- Preparing and consuming dairy kefir on a daily basis
- Omitting soy products
- Replacing sugar with Rapadura/Sucanat, honey, maple syrup, or palm (coconut) sugar. (We’ve removed agave due to the high processing)
Differences we’ve noticed… the kefir is really helping my daughters bowel issues. It’s been amazing. The addition of healthy fats (while omitting unhealthy fats like margarine, canola/veggie oils) has decreased cravings and left us feeling more satisfied.
We are all feeling healthy, more nourished, and less sluggish. I’m seeing improved skin (which is noticed by those around me)… the healthy internal glow is showing!
Some meal ideas:
Breakfast- (We enjoy lots of fresh fruit with every breakfast)
whole eggs (free range eggs, did I mention we now have 9 chickens?) w/ almond flour pancakes
soaked brown rice w/ crispy almonds and honey
coconut flour muffins and eggs
ground chicken (seasoned with herbs) w/ eggs and fresh grated potatoes
overnight oats w/ fruit and honey
kefir smoothie w/ blanched spinach, berries, and banana
HM GF “graham” crackers w/ almond butter
HM trail mix (crispy nuts, raisins, dark chocolate chips, coconut)
air popped popcorn drizzled with melted coconut oil and Celtic sea salt
veggie sticks w/ kefir herb dip
organic spring greens w/ hardboiled egg, shredded chicken (leftover from this weeks whole fryers), grated whole milk cheese
soaked brown rice w/ shredded chicken and cream sauce, zucchini + mushrooms
asparagus, mushroom, and meat ball or chicken kabobs
HM mac and cheese w/ broccoli